(Part of the Election, Sovereign Grace, Will, Salvation bible study group.)
A back door objection to Election is sometimes offered.
"If God predestines those who will be saved then it also means that He predestines the remainder to hell and nowhere in the Bible will you find that said."
It is true
that nowhere in the Bible will you find the statement, "God predestines some to Hell, or damnation - reprobation." However, this is
nothing but a play on words! For you find the following in Holy Scripture:
- - "Therefore they could not believe, because Isaiah said again:
'He has blinded their eyes and hardened their hearts,
Lest they should see with their eyes,
Lest they should understand with their hearts and turn,
So that I should heal them.' "
- - "Therefore He has mercy on whom He wills,
and whom He wills He hardens."
- - "What if God, wanting to show His wrath and to make His power known, endured with much longsuffering the vessels of wrath prepared for destruction,"
- - "What then? Israel has not obtained what it seeks; but the elect have obtained it, and the rest were blinded."
- - "And for this reason God will send them strong delusion, that they should believe the lie,"
(2 Thessalonians 2:11)
These are just a few of the verses which show that God, by exercise of His Sovereign Will, bars some from the truth of the Gospel message. The end result of which is damnation (reprobation) by God's action. The simple fact is that ALL humanity is reprobate, sinful, and is destined to eternal damnation unless God, through the exercise of His Grace & Will, chooses to save some of it.
- - "Every plant which my Father in heaven did not plant will be pulled up"
- - "But indeed, O man, who are you to reply against God? Will the thing formed say to him who formed it, Why have you made me like this?"
The objection is merely a word game. While it is true, that nowhere in the Bible will you find the phrase, "God predestines some to Hell", it is abundantly clear that He, for His own purposes, does bar some of humanity from understanding the true spiritual message of the Bible. The end result of this exercise of His Divine Will is that those barred do not receive the gift of salvation. Therefore this argument, objection, has no biblical foundation and has no effect on the validity of the belief in salvation by God's Sovereign Grace & Will, also called the Doctrine of Election.
Predestined to Hell
page updated 03/16/2011.