(Part of the Election, Sovereign Grace, Will, Salvation bible study group.)
One of the arguments offered concerning the validity of the Doctrine of Election is, "The Bible tells us, that God is Just and election would mean that He does not treat everyone the same and this would mean that He is unjust."
This line of reasoning provides for one of the human objections to "election." And IF salvation were a matter of justice it would be a valid objection. However, salvation is a matter of mercy not justice.
IF salvation were a matter of justice then there is no hope for mankind for we find the following entries in the Bible:
- - "for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God,"
- - "For the wages of sin is death,"
But salvation is solely an act of God's mercy and we find in Holy Scripture:
- - " 'I will have mercy on whomever I will have mercy, and I will have compassion on whomever I will have compassion.'
So then it is not of him who wills, nor of him who runs, but of God who shows mercy."
- - "Therefore He has mercy on whom He wills, and whom He wills He hardens."
- - "But indeed, O man, who are you to reply against God? Will the thing formed say to him who formed it, "Why have you made me like this?
Does not the potter have power over the clay, from the same lump to make one vessel for honor and another for dishonor?
What if God, wanting to show His wrath and to make His power known, endured with much longsuffering the vessels of wrath prepared for destruction,
and that He might make known the riches of His glory on the vessels of mercy, which He had prepared beforehand for glory, "
From a human
- "A couple goes to an orphanage to adopt a child. For their own reasons they chose to adopt one child from all the children at the orphanage." Since all the children are adoptable and in need of a family & home, is it unjust that the adopting parents picked one child over the rest?
The contention, that Election would mean that God is not a Just God, is an invalid argument and has no biblical basis. This objection does not disprove the validity of Sovereign Grace, Will, Salvation, also called the Doctrine of Election.
Would Election mean that God is unjust?
page updated 03/15/2011.