(Part of the Election, Sovereign Grace, Will, Salvation bible study group.)
Among those who say they accept election, are those who proclaim that,
"God, looking over all of creation, saw who would be receptive to the Gospel's salvation message and it is these people He elects."
This contention is a thinly disguised attempt to interject man's free will into the basis for salvation. Its basically a lets try to please both sides approach to the issue of Sovereign Grace, Will, salvation, also called the Doctrine of Election. However, there are several problems with this belief:
- It maintains that the Creator is obligated to the created;
- It states that God's will is not sovereign; but it is subject to the will, & choices, of man;
- It changes the basis of salvation from God's act of mercy through His Sovereign Grace & Will; to it being based on the actions of man, which contradicts many verses in the Bible.
Consider the following verses of Holy Scripture:
- - "Just as the Father raises the dead and gives them life, in the same way the Son gives life to those he wants to. "
(John 5:21 Good News Bible Translation)
- - "So then it is not of him who wills, nor of him who runs, but of God who shows mercy."
- - "having predestined us to adoption as sons by Jesus Christ to Himself, according to the good pleasure of His will"
- - "For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God"
- - "In Him also we have obtained an inheritance, being predestined according to the purpose of Him who works all things according to the counsel of His will,-"
Theses are a few of the verses which state that salvation is based on God's will and purpose, not on man's present, or future, actions or choices.
"(for the children had not yet been born, neither had done any good or evil; but that the purpose of God according to election might stand, not of works but of Him who called,) "
Problem of Free Will Salvation
page updated 03/17/2011.