(Part of the Election, Sovereign Grace, Will, Salvation bible study group.)
Since the Bible teaches that to the natural man the message of salvation is meaningless, how then can man be saved?
- - "Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God."
The natural man's response to this message,
- - "How can a man be born when he is old? Can he enter a second time into his mother's womb and be born?"
Jesus amplifies His statement,
- - "Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God. That which is born of the flesh is flesh, and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit."
natural man's response,
- - "How can these things be?"
Obviously, something is missing, since we have seen that this message is foolishness to the natural man. Jesus identifies the missing ingredient for us.
- - "No one can come to Me unless the Father who sent Me draws him; and I will raise him up at the last day."
How does the Father accomplish this drawing?
In a two fold manner. natural man is first quickened, awakened, to the Gospel message by the Holy Spirit.
- - "Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved;)"
(Eph 2:5 KJV)
- - "Even when we were dead in trespasses, made us alive together with Christ (by grace you have been saved)"
(Eph 2:5 MJKV)
- - "It is the Spirit who gives life; the flesh profits nothing. The words that I speak to you are spirit, and they are life."
After being quickened, awakened, then he is given the gift of faith, or belief in the Gospel message.
- - "For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God"
It is clear that the Bible teaches that salvation is by exercise of God's Sovereign Will & Grace. That it is not, nor can it ever be, by the free will of man.(For more info see Biblical order of Salvation)
page updated 03/21/2011.